September 19, 2018
Chris Morton reflects on how we navigate problems in our lives and how it is connected with our worship and community [John 4:1-26, 39-42].
- Do I know what I have and don’t have to give to God?
- Does my worship bring life or death to myself and others?
September 14, 2018
Tim Brosnan reflects on how we interact and respond to difficult and challenging situations we experience [Psalm 146].
Where have you seen God’s help break into impossible situations?
How might you posture yourself to participate in the giving and receiving of such help?
Video: Thai Cave Rescue
Reflect on these questions in the context of your current season. What help do I need? Where am I looking for help?
September 4, 2018
Jason Minnix reflects on how our habits move us into healthy spiritual living with others and God and to consider whether certain habits are useful or not [Mark 7:1-8].
- What habits of thinking, feeling or doing am I being invited to renegotiate?
- Where do I hear invitation to direct intimacy?
- Video: SNL Sean Spicer Press Conference
- Name Empty Habits: What habits of thinking, feeling or doing have outlived their usefulness? How can we begin to see them for what they are? Consider your habits that attempt to address your spiritual needs. Do they do this, or are they empty? Begin to be curious about what’s behind them.
August 29, 2018
Sarah Berson reflects on how we are invited to put on the image of God [Ephesians 6:10-17].
- Where do I need support for my gut and/or strength in resisting shame?
- Where do I need support for my heart, and what doubts hold me back from emotional safety?
- What thoughts dominate my self-talk, and how can I find strength to connect to God?
- Video: Best of Coyote and Roadrunner
August 23, 2018
Jason Minnix invites us to lean into an area of our life that needs direction and how God invites us to walk in wisdom [I Kings 3:5-15].
Where do I need to ask for support in order to fulfill my calling now? What is something simple I can prepare a meal for this week?
Film: Don’t Worry, He Won’t Get Far on Foot
- Consider an area of your life that feels overwhelming or too much. Perhaps there’s something you feel inadequate to navigate on your own. Hold out your hand with your palm open. Ask God to walk with you this week and give you wisdom in this area.
- Host something or someone simple this week. What’s an area within or a person in your life whose simpleness is hard to be around? Offer what is simple the food and drink of empathy. Make room for questions that may not even have answers right now, but they are worthy of being asked.
August 15, 2018
Jane Patterson reflects on the the ways that God sustains us through life when the journey seems too much for us [1 Kings 19:4-8].
What have you learned from experience about what truly fuels you in difficult times?
What is your experience of the dance of grace and effort in your own life? When has God surprised you with sustenance? When have you needed to "get up and eat"?
August 7, 2018
Matt Inman reflects on the love we have been given and are called to live from [Ephesians 4:1-16].
- What barriers to love exist in your life currently?
- Who in your life is helping you grow in love?
- Video: Missouri vs Kansas Football
- Video: TED Talk - Play is Fundamental (Stuart Brown)
- Does gentleness, humility or patience most resonate with you right now? Practice living one out this week, and when you fail, double down on living it out for yourself all the more.
- Consider who your rivals are and what is so threatening about them to you. How does this kind of hate create a barrier to allowing love to come in and go out in you life?
- Consider what growth and maturity look like to you. Does it make space for you to play? Is there one way you carry yourself physically that is too rigid, too serious or closed off that doesn’t accurately communicate the love you have for others?
August 1, 2018
Marlon Hall facilitates an ecological conversation about diversity and reflects on the invitation towards cross-pollination and authenticity [Genesis 1:1-3].
- What if the gritty spaces we are socially and racially in are an invitation to grow a new culture?
- Is diversity an end or a means to the end of a new cultural authenticity?
- Folklore Films
- Meet with someone different from you this week to hear their story and find your story in theirs.
- Journal on the privileges that you have and experience.
- Pursue friendship with someone who is different from you.
July 25, 2018
Jason Minnix reflects on the way Jesus lived out compassion and what that means for how we show compassion in our lives [Mark 6:30-34, 53-56].
- What are some of my needs that I am being invited to care for this week?
- Who am I being invited to shift from empathy to compassion for?
- Film: Eighth Grade
- Practicing solitude and ease. Move into a solitary space and find some ease this week. What or where is my solitary space now? What is my process of entering into ease?
- Practicing compassion. Where do I need guidance today? Where do I need to trust my Self (image of God) more? Where am I being invited to move from pity or empathy to compassion? With whom do I need to practice trusting they everything they need for healing?
July 20, 2018
Judy Peterson reflects on how God creates everything with intent and purpose and how each of us is a unique reflection of the image of God [Genesis 1:26-27].
- What are the"thats" that are not a part of the "THIS" God had created you to be?
- Who are the "thems" to which you tend to conform and how might God be calling you to stand in your unique "THISNESS" so that your community might come to see God more clearly?
July 11, 2018
John Chandler reflects on how the practice of fasting can actually integrate the soul and body instead of simply denying the body [Galatians 5:16-25].
- What has been your understanding of the relationship between your spirit and your body?
- What might it look like for you to incorporate a regular practice of fasting?
- Book: Spiritual Disciplines Handbook (Adele Ahlberg Calhoun)
- Fasting: Pre-select a specific amount of time. Replace prep and eating time with prayer and reflection. Use your hunger to focus on your heart and soul rather than your belly.
July 4, 2018
Matt Inman reflects on the ways and approaches that we use in dealing with pain in our lives [Lamentation 3:22-33].
Are you currently working through pain in your life? What does that process look like for you?
When you believe your pain or patterns are too much for God, what does that do to your sense of belonging?
Podcast: You Made it Weird (Mark Paul Gossilaar)
Try curious listening this week. Listen with the intent to learn something new from others, scripture and your surroundings.
As we struggle, look for an activity that will either help you start the work or help you take a break in order to sustain your work. Activities include solitude, silence, prayer, writing exercises, laughter, etc.
Spend some time with a friend or community that has shown you faithfulness, as you are. Then spend time afterward taking an inventory on your thoughts and feelings. Acknowledging that moment as an example or version of God’s loyal love.
June 27, 2018
Pamela Begeman reflects on the goodness of our being and what it means to consent to our basic goodness [Psalm 139].
Do you know and feel that you are essentially and deeply good, before you do or say anything?
How are you being healed, transformed and awakened to the experience of your goodness and God's unconditional love for you?
Book: Open Mind, Open Heart (Thomas Keating)
Video: Homeboy Industries - Thought for the Day (Father Greg Boyle)
Make a “quantum leap” and practice the First Consent - consenting to your basic goodness. Try to see this core of goodness in others, beyond and beneath what they are saying or doing.
June 19, 2018
Jason Minnix reflects on how parables provide a way to change the way we see God and ourselves [Mark 4:26-34].
- How am I being invited to play with and in metaphor this week?
- Where can I plant scrappy seeds and let go of the outcomes to God?
- Play with a metaphor this week. Find a parable in scripture that invites you in. Write a metaphor or parable about God from an experience you’ve had.
June 14, 2018
Gideon Tsang reflects on what it would look like to find a way to live that’s renewing [2 Corinthians 4:16-18].
- What can you subtract this week to free up space for the renewing of your inner being?
- What interruptions can we embrace this season?
- Film: I, Tonya
- Try subtracting something from your life. What do you sense is being freed up?
June 5, 2018
Sarah Berson reflects on how being present helps us hear God [1 Samuel 3:1-10].
How do you build space for presence with yourself? With God?
Who in your life can you depend on to help you hear God?
Consider how you can create space for presence this week. Try to spend time in it every day.
Consider scheduling time with someone you depend on this week. Try to be fully present with that person.
May 30, 2018
As we celebrate Trinity Sunday, Gideon Tsang explores how we participate in the Trinity and not just how we understand the Trinity [John 3:1-8].
What do you wonder about Trinity this morning?
How can you welcome God's movement for all things in your life this week?
MWG: Discussion Guide
May 22, 2018
As we celebrate Pentecost, John Chandler reflects on how we might allow the Spirit to help us learn and grow in living the way of Jesus [Luke 5:1-11].
In what ways have you recently seen the Holy Spirit at work in your life or community?
What practices have best helped you recognize the direction of the Holy Spirit in your life?
Websites: Udemy, MasterClass, League of Kitchens
MWG: Discussion Guide
May 15, 2018
Jason Minnix reflects on the wisdom we’re invited to consider as we meditate on scripture [Psalm 1].
Where am I being invited to seek and live into wisdom?
How can I carry the protective parts of myself with compassion and curiosity this week?
Video: Peaceful Warrior Clip
MWG: Discussion Guide
May 8, 2018
Gena Minnix explores what it means to abide in love, especially when we’re hurting [John 15:9-17].
With whom am I currently practicing abiding in love?
What do I want to remember the next time I lose joy in that relationship?
Video: Turtle Flip
Podcast: Notes from a Public Typewritter
MWG: Discussion Guide